Paneer ka Salan is a variation of the most authentic Mirch ka Salan version. Instead of Mirchi/ chili, you can use Paneer cubes. The gravy is thick, sour and creamy. The coconut milk and tamarind pulp used in this gravy make it very flavorful.
Recipe of Paneer Ka Salan
For the gravy to be ground into a smooth paste-
1 tbsp oil
1 onion chopped
8-10 cloves of garlic
1/2 piece ginger
3 tbsp freshly grated coconut
1 tbsp tamarind pulp
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
Salt as per taste.
Heat oil in a Kadhai. Add the above ingredients sauté it for 10 minutes while stirring continuously.
Let it cool for a while and then grind into a smooth paste
For sesame and peanut powder
2 tbsp peanuts
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp cumin powder
200 grams of fresh paneer cubes.
1. Sauté the paneer on a Tawa using very little oil and add a little salt.
Wait till it turns brown. Then keep it aside.
2. For the Gravy grind all the ingredients mentioned for the gravy into a smooth paste and keep it aside.
3. Combine all the ingredients and dry roast on a hot Tawa for a minute while stirring continuously.
Keep aside to cool. Now blend in a mixture and keep aside.
4. Heat oil in a Kadhai, add the gravy, prepared sesame – coconut powder and 3 tbsp of water, mix well and cook it on a medium flame for 5 minutes stirring once in between till the oil separates.
5. Now add the sautéed paneer and simmer for 2 minutes till the gravy thickens.
Paneer ka Salan is ready. Garnish with fresh coconut, coriander and a dollop of ghee.
Relish it with parathas, rotis, naans, kulchas, or biryani.